Under funding provided by a USCG grant, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators is implementing a process of voluntary third-party conformity assessment for on-water boating skill programs to verify a course meets American National Standards for Power and Human-Propelled. Successful completion will include the award of a uniquely-numbered “Verified Course” mark indicating “The content of this course conforms to the American National Standard for on-water skills as verified through an independent third-party assessment process.”
Recognized by the American National Standards Institute as American National Standards, both the On-Water Power and On-Water Human-Propelled standards identify fundamental skills that entry level recreational boat operators should be able to demonstrate after receiving instruction. The standards are freely available for voluntary application by organizations providing recreational boating instructional programs. Also in development is a national standard for On-Water Skills based instruction in sailboat operation. More information about these standards can be found at www.abycinc.org or www.onwaterstandards.org.
NASBLA offers this third-party conformity assessment at NO COST through this grant supported program for a limited time. Course providers earning the Verified Course mark will sign a Terms and Conditions agreement to provide numeric and survey data needed to evaluate the USCG National Recreational Boating Safety Strategic Plan.
This information includes:
- numeric data of numbers of students enrolled in and completing the Verified Course;
- distribution to students of an online survey link (provided) to evaluate the level of recognition and influence on a student’s decision to enroll in a course due to the Verified Course mark;
- the course provider’s agreement to provide the course content as submitted; and,
- course provider’s agreement to provide feedback on the overall program.
Parties interested in submitting materials for this Verification process should download and complete the following:
1. 2017 Flow Chart – Verified Course Review Process
2. 2017 On-Water Skills Course Verification Process (Includes Appendices A – E)
3. 2017 Verified Course Application
4. 2017 USCG Grant Funding Fee Waiver (Optional) or 2017 Fee Schedule for Skills Course Verification Review
Parties should also download these documents based on the skills course they wish to submit:
5. American National Standard - On-Water Recreational Boating Skills Standard – Power -
- EDU-1 On-Water Power Standard - A free download of the POWER Standard is available from ABYC’s OnLine Store at: www.abycinc.org. The standard is also included on pages 57-63 of the Technical Support document below.
6. Technical Support Document – On Water Recreational Boating Skills Standard - Power
7. American National Standard – On-Water Recreational Boating Skills Standard – Power -
- EDU-2 Skills Based Human Propelled Boat Standard - A free download of the POWER Standard is available from ABYC’s OnLine Store at: www.abycinc.org. The standard is also included on pages 48-53 of the Technical Support document below.
8. Technical Support Document – On Water Recreational Boating Skills Standard - Human Propelled
9. American National Standard – On-Water Skills – Sail (not yet available)
10. Technical Support Document – On-Water Skills – Sail (not yet available)
Send all completed documents, PLUS one electronic copy AND one printed copy of all course materials to:
Attn: Pamela Dillon, Education and Standards Director
1648 McGrathiana Parkway, Suite 360
Lexington, KY 40511