The Award of Commendation can be given to both sworn officers and civilians in cases where the person was considered instrumental in directly contributing to the saving of a human life or lives. The award consists of a certificate signed by the NASBLA President.
Nominations are to be submitted to NASBLA by a state boating law administrator (BLA) usually within six months of the date of the incident. Consideration will be given to the nominee's resourcefulness and demonstrated skill in rescue methods. Recognition will not be given where it appears that the risk involved was merely in the performance of duty or the meeting of an obligation.
To nominate a person, the BLA should submit the following information to NASBLA:
- Name of person nominated for commendation;
- Date of incident;
- Location of incident;
- Summary of why the nominee should be considered for the award;
- Address to which award certificate should be shipped (it is the BLA's responsibility to present the award).
The BLA may also include any supporting documents, such as newspaper clippings, letters, etc., that pertain to the incident.
To submit nominations:
- use the online nomination form;
- email firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- mail to NASBLA Award of Commendation, 1648 McGrathiana Parkway, Suite 360, Lexington, KY 40511.